Operating Engineers work as light and heavy equipment operators, crane operators, mechanics and welders in the construction, road building, paving, mining, marine, pipeline, and oil and gas industries. They are highly skilled and masters of a large variety of equipment.
You are a team player.
You have a strong work ethic.
You are reliable and have a good attitude.
- Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, bulldozers, loaders and graders to excavate, move, load and grade earth, rock, gravel or other materials during construction and related activities
- Operate computer-controlled equipment and hydraulic pumping systems
- Conduct pre-operational checks & perform minor repairs on equipment
- Inspect, clean and lubricate equipment
- Secure special attachments to equipment
- Operate two-way radios and other communication equipment
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Strong communication, numeracy, reading & problem-solving skills
- Excellent hand-eye coordination & depth perception
- Good concentration and stamina
- Mechanical aptitude & manual dexterity
- A safety conscious attitude
What You’ll Need
- Grade 10 Math required
3 years (Crane Operators) or 4 years (Heavy Duty Mechanic), includes technical and on-the-job training, and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.