Teamsters are involved in the transportation of materials across a wide variety of industries. Transport truck drivers operate heavy trucks via urban, interurban, provincial and international routes. They are employed by transportation, manufacturing, distribution and moving companies, trucking employment service agencies, or they may be self-employed.
You are a critical thinker.
You enjoy working independently.
You take a methodical approach to work.
- Operate and drive straight or articulated trucks and lighter, special purpose trucks
- Plan routes and meet delivery schedules
- Navigate trucks into loading or unloading positions
- Perform preventive maintenance, trip inspections and emergency roadside repairs
- Record cargo information, service hours, distance travelled and fuel consumption
- Comply with truck driving regulations (size, weight, route designations) and company policies and procedures
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Communication skills, reading and numeracy skills
- Problem-solving & critical thinking skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to drive for long periods of time
- Patience, alertness and awareness