Painters apply a range of coatings to beautify, identify and protect interior and exterior surfaces and structures from weather, UV, chemicals, abrasion and fire. From housing, hospitals, schools, office towers and retail stores to bridges, tanks, pipelines, structural steel and hydro generation, a Red Seal painter does it all.
You are detail oriented.
You are creative.
You are comfortable working at heights.
- Repair, clean and prepare wood, plaster, stucco, stone, concrete, steel & other materials
- Apply paint and other materials using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Read specifications and calculate the area to be painted and the amount of paint needed
- Select, mix and thin paints and stains to produce the desired colour and appearance
- Prepare surfaces by scraping, wire brushing or sanding to a smooth finish
- Put up scaffolding and set up ladders
- Provide cost estimates and requisition or order materials, equipment and supplies
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Strong communication skills, reading and numeracy
- Strong problem-solving and planning skills
- Creativity and an eye for detail
- Physical strength and balance
- Ability to work in high places
- Ability to work outdoors in diverse weather
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
What You’ll Need
Includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.