Labourers are a backbone to construction, working on tasks that help work run smoothly on job sites. They use diverse skills in a variety of construction activities, including preparing construction sites, moving equipment and materials, installing water and sewer lines, operating hand tools, working with concrete, and cleaning up finished sites.
- Perform various duties involving tool use, lifting, carrying and managing equipment and machinery
- Install and remove scaffolding, ramps and barricades
- Assist heavy equipment operators in securing and guiding movement of equipment
- Level earth to grade specifications
- Assist in demolishing buildings
- Mix, pour and spread concrete, asphalt and other material
- Help align pipes and other activities during oil and gas pipeline construction
- Operate pneumatic hammers and tampers
What You’ll Need
High School: Math level 10 Previous construction experience preferred, but not required.
Includes technical training, on-the-job training and exam. Journeyperson certificate awarded after successful completion. As an apprentice, you also earn while you learn.
Key Skills & Attributes
(technical training and on the job)
- Numeracy, reading, communication, problem-solving
- Physical fitness
- Ability to work in high places
- Ability to work outdoors in diverse weather
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Experience using power tools & machinery